Operations Shift Manager – Vancouver
As our Operations Shift Manager you are responsible for the day to day organization of the container terminal and the management of the shift team in the execution of operational plans. You manage employees, contractors, visitors and processes, adhering to safety and operating policies and procedures to ensure the smooth running of operations and equipment and meet customer and business requirements.
As our Operations Shift Manager you will:
- Ensure that the operational requirements of the working shift are fully met in an efficient and safe manner in accordance with current safety regulations and health and safety policies.
- Oversee the overall efficiency of cargo handling operations, including coordinating the various activities of different staff groups to maximize the efficient deployment of labour and resources.
- Enable the best possible level of communications within the shift team.
- Manage personnel, including hiring, training, discipline and off-boarding, to ensure that the Company’s needs and requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure that systems and procedures are followed to enable the progress of operations to be monitored by other staff, customers and authorities.
- Drive a performance management culture within the team ensuring that staff meet their targets in line with the business needs.
- Advance agreed upon initiatives, propose new initiatives and adopt a sense of continuous improvement.
What you bring to the role:
- A degree in business, operational management, logistics or other related discipline.
- Experience working in a safety-focused environment with excellent understanding of Health and Safety legislation and the ability to effectively communicate these values to the workforce.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a Manager or Supervisor in a fast moving operation, preferably in a unionized setting.
- A positive, hands on approach and the ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent people management skills with well-formed motivational skills, including solid negotiation, influencing, change management and labour relations skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain good working relationships and achieve buy in and ownership to quality standards/ initiatives with all departments and levels.
- Sound judgement and analytical thinking that enables decision making, ability to manage projects and prioritize and manage timelines.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship loading operations, vessel construction, cargo stowage, cargo securing and applicable regulations.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and the proven ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Flexibility to meet the requirements of a 24/7 operation.
No phone calls or agencies please. DP World Vancouver is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview, testing and pre-employment medical examination. To be eligible for hire, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada and must successfully obtain Transport Canada Security Clearance.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our know-how.
This posting closes on January 29, 2019; please apply here: Operations Shift Manager – Vancouver.