Organization Spotlight: Society for Children and Youth of BC
At DP World Vancouver, we believe that giving back to the community through involvement and financial support is key to the success of those we live and work with, as well as our own. Through our Community Kinship Programme, we showcase various organizations and community involvement initiatives that help contribute to the greater good in Vancouver and British Columbia. One such organization is the Society for Children and Youth of BC.
What is the Society for Children and Youth of BC?
A unique provincial organization, the Society for Children and Youth of BC is a charity created in 1974 to improve the well-being of children and youth in British Columbia. Taking the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child as its foundation, the SCY focuses on providing a strong voice on issues concerning child and youth welfare.
It has a proven track record in developing and delivering programmes that drive change in policy, practice, legislation, and research in Canada. The SCY believes that advancing the legal, cultural, social, economic, political, and civil rights of children and youth in British Columbia is critical to improving their well-being and quality of life. The goals of the SCY are as follows:
- Protect the rights of youth and children, especially in contexts where they are most vulnerable
- Develop opportunities and avenues where the voice of youth and children will be heard
- Be a major force in the planning and building of child and youth-friendly communities
- Improve province-wide understanding of child and youth rights
SCY’s Programme Areas
All projects carried out by the SCY aim to put its mission statement into action. They’re developed to expose the core challenges facing children and youth in British Columbia and propose viable solutions. Here are just a few examples:
- Child Rights Public Awareness Campaign: The Child Rights Public Awareness Campaign commenced in 2006 when the Institute for Safe Schools in BC and the SCY of BC came together to visualize and effect a plan for raising nationwide awareness of child and youth rights. The project advisory committee set up to run the campaign included representatives from the provincial and federal government, as well as other community agencies dedicated to the well-being of British Columbian society, with an emphasis on its youth.
- Child and Youth Friendly Communities Project: Through this project, the SCY of BC helps municipalities seeking to improve on or create child- and youth-friendly communities by providing consultation, workshops, tool kits, idea banks, assessment tools and other resources. SCY currently works with different municipalities in the Lower Mainland area and others to achieve CYFC initiatives.
- Child and Youth Legal Centre: The SCY of BC provides direct legal services to people under the age of 19, in the areas of family law, child protection and human rights. It’s a BC wide initiative that comes at no cost to the children. There are currently two full time lawyers working in the Lower Mainland and the organization is working to recruit a roster of lawyers across the province.
The SCY of BC’s most noteworthy event is the annual Night for Rights Celebration Fundraiser, coming up November 20th, 2018. Hosted on National Child Day every year, the event’s goal is to raise awareness of the organization while celebrating young people and of course, bringing in dollars. There will be highly celebrated speakers, a silent auction, and food and drinks.
For more information on past and current events, visit the SYC of BC website.
Getting Your Business Involved
The SCY of BC holds awareness-building workshops for corporate teams. For example, this year, four youth co-facilitators built a workshop for customer service staff of banks and financial institutions. This workshop demonstrated the challenges youth who are aging out of foster care face and an awareness of the ways policy and practice could be improved to better serve young people. The workshops are tailored, and volunteer power can be used to educate on a variety of principles.
Financial support is also welcome. Your contribution to SCY will go towards:
- Child Rights Education and awareness initiatives
- Development of resources to help strengthen organizations and communities that aim to bring about child- and youth-friendly communities and improve child well-being
- Upholding the participation rights of children and youth
- Providing access to justice for children and youth
For over 40 years, the SCY of BC has been engaged in improving the well-being of children and youth by promoting advocacy, education, and total community engagement. You can make a difference in the lives of children and youth in BC by sending in your contribution, becoming a Monthly Donor or making a Legacy gift.
If you would like to help, visit their website or contact them at email@example.com, 778-657-5544 or 1-877-462-0037 (toll-free). To stay up to date on upcoming events, follow them on Twitter or like them on Facebook.